My husband and I are legally separated. he is in a nursing home. Can the home require only me to sign for his release?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Nursing homes

his neurologist has stated he is capable of living on his own if he obtains life alert services. he has a place waiting for him to move into as of March 2,2013. He has met all of the necessary requirements to leave the nursing home and live in this apartment. the nursing home will not let him leave unless I personally sign him out. I do not want to be responsible for him so I will not sign. I never had anything to do with his admittance. He put my name as a contact. Can they hold him against his will?

Why do you think you'll be responsible if you sign him out? He's your husband, to whom would you be responsible? I can't say I understand the concern.

I'm also having ga difficult time fully understanding your question and/or your concerns.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

I don't see a downside.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates