My husband and I are filing for divorce ourselves. I need to know what other forms need to be filed along with the Answer form?

Asked about 1 year ago - Kingsport, TN

He sent me a Complaint for Divorce. I know have to file an Answer or the Judge will rule in his favor. He didn't ask for anything but a divorce but I know I need to fill it out to get the things I need.

Do I also need to fill out Civil Case Cover Sheet or Summons? I also want to petition for Alimony (he agrees to pay it), do I need to fill out Financial Declaration form now? He said he would pay for all the cost in the Complaint so do I need to fill out Affidavit of Indigence anyway? Because I am filing an Answer does that make it an Contested Divorce?

1. John Jay Clark

4

1

Answered . You have asked many questions that many clients much like yourself ask. Simply speaking there is no one size fits all answer for every case. Yours is a prime example of finding a lawyer that you trust and believe in and working with him or her to assist you. There are simply too many pitfalls that you can end up in by trying to handle this yourself. You may not have a truely uncontested situation here and becuase of that it is very important that you know exactly what you are doing.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

5

Answered . This is one of the reasons why a consultation with a local attorney is a good idea. If he sent you the Complaint - how did he do it? Was there an affidavit of service? The service may not have been proper.

3. Gary Todd Dupler

Pro

3

Answered . You have asked many legal questions. Even if you feel like you cannot afford an attorney, it would be worthwhile for you to have a one-time consultation with a divorce attorney in the Tri-cities area. You could ask all the questions above and more. Is it truly filed? Were you served correctly? Plus, you can have the attorney review the paperwork your husband is filing to make sure it does what you want it to do.

The Court Clerk can tell you that you only need to file the Cover Sheet if you are initiating the action. In other words, it only needs completed once and that is by the person filing the Complaint. Good luck!

4. Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

2

1

Answered . I agree with counsel and recommend consulting with an attorney in your area. You can also check to see whether your court provides a self-help center. Good luck.