My husband and I are filing for bankruptcy in two weeks. Are there overseas travel restrictions? Plan to travel in June.

Asked over 1 year ago - Henderson, NV

Visiting family in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia in June.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

6

Answered . You need to be available to appear for a hearing in the bankruptcy court on a date to be determined once you file. You may also be questioned about expenses that appear to be extravagant which could prevent you from obtaining the benefits you may be seeking through bankruptcy. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

6

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Not United States immigration question; it may be a Singapore, Hong Kong or Australian Immigration question however.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . NO, but a quesiton of funds may arrise in certain circumstances. This is not an immigration quesiton.

4. Alena Shautsova

Pro

2

5

Answered . You should check with a consulate of the country you are going to. I do not think it will make a difference...

5. Carl H Starrett II

3

Answered . If you are filing for bankruptcy, how is it that you have money to pay for this expensive trip?

6. Jeffrey Sean Fraser

2

Answered . First, it is imperative that you appear at the 341 Meeting of Creditors, the date of which will be assigned when your bankruptcy petition is filed. If the date falls within the period of this trip, it will not be the best thing to explain to the trustee that you can't make the hearing because of an extravagent trip.

Also, if you are filing for bankruptcy, how do you have the funds for the trip? The cash you have on hand and money in your bank account will have to be disclosed during the bankruptcy, and you will have to explain.

Plan carefully, consult an attorney prior to filing, and good luck.