Skip to main content

My husband and I are eligible TO APPLY FOR US citizenship. However I want to visit UK in October for two weeks. Can I still

Tampa, FL |

Travel once application is filed? Also my 15 year old son has had his green card since dec 2006 will he be able to apply for citizenship or do we wit until we have heard if we have been accepted. Does anyone know how long the whole process takes in the Tampa area. Thank you. I realize I have asked multiple questions here.

Attorney Answers 3


Hello Ma'am. Thank you for your post. There is no restriction to travelling while your naturalization application is pending. But in some cases, it is advisable not to travel. So please obtain an evaluation of your facts, just to be on the safe side. Also, your son may not apply for naturalization since he is under 18 years of age. However, once either you or your husand naturalize, then your son will likely derive citizenship automatically; but again, have an evaluation done just to be sure. Please note that the processing time for Tampa is about 4-5 months, but varies. It is advisable to have an attorney file the applications and maybe even represent you at the interview. I hope this helps. Best regards.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Yes, you can go to the UK for 2 weeks. It is better to go before you file for naturalization.

Yes, your son can become a citizen.

Yes, it would be wise to hire an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I already answered this question for you in your other post.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics