My husband and I are completing the on line Divorce Decree. This is an uncontested divorce.

We live in Nevada and this is a Community Property state. My understanding is we complete the Divorce Decree and submit it then after the judge reviews it we complete the division of property. Is this correct? We have already agreed on the seperation of property and are both in agreement.

Las Vegas, NV -

Jill K. Whitbeck

Jill K. Whitbeck

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Reno, NV

There is no such thing as an "online" divorce. You need to file a Joint Petition that is complete and includes your agreed upon division of assets and debts. There are other forms required to be completed and filed, which should be in your packet (if you only got a decree online, you need to get the entire packet). The Judge will only sign off on the decree if everything is complete and in proper order. There are many attorneys who do these types of cases at a low rate or flat fee. You would be well served to seek one out in your area as there are many potential pitfalls in "do-it-yourself" paperwork.

Keith Pickard

Keith Pickard

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Henderson, NV

Ms. Whitbeck is right - this process is full of little traps and snags that you will only discover later when you try to enforce the decree. Inevitably, some minor misunderstandings between the two of you, or your lack of understanding of the law or process, create headaches. You would do well to have an attorney look over what you are doing to make sure you get it right the first time. That said, if you are intent on doing this yourself, make sure you spend enough time learning what the proper process is before you start filing things. The Family Law Self Help Center at the Family Courts will give you much of what you need, though they are not attorneys and can steer you in the wrong direction at times. All they do is help you fill out forms. Their online forms can make filling them out easier, but it also makes filling out the wrong form easier. Make sure you learn as much as you can before you file.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

Family Law Attorney - San Diego, CA

I'm licensed in California although it sounds right. As a lawyer I'd advise you to have a lawyer review the agreement and advise you of your rights so you have a complete understanding of the agreement.