Skip to main content

My husband and daughter were in a car accident in which my car was totaled.Can we sue even If our car insurance doesn't have pip

Edison, NJ |

Lady ran a stop sign and hit our car. My husband went for X-ray which showed bruising and pinched nerves. He still has back pain and we incurred medical costs and suffering. My daughter was an infant.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


The bar on claims is only if you we're legally obligated to carry PIP but chose not to purchase insurance. As it is a fact intensive inquiry as to insurance coverage, feel free to give me a call to discuss further at 732-494-2727.


Yes, a lawsuit may be pursued. Presumably and fortunately, you were not injured. Sorry that your husband and daughter were. Immediately have your husband contact local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel. You very well may not be able to represent your daughter. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


As long as the car that your husband was driving was insured, then he can bring a claim against the other driver for his injuries, even if he did not have PIP coverage on the vehicle. The question of whether or not he can pursue a claim for his outstanding accident related medical bills is more complicated than can be discussed here. I therefore recommend that you speak with a Certified Civil Trial Attorney at your earliest convenience.


Car accident injury claims for a spouse and child are allowed. As indicated by the other attorneys, there may be issues that need legal consultation and are fact specific to a car. Calling one of them for advice is highly recommended. You have three great options for attorneys.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at


Yes. Whether or not you have PIP does not affect your right to make a claim for personal injury. I would hire a good local attorney that specializes in the area of personal injury law.

Samuel A. Coffey, Esq. ABRAMOWITZ, POMERANTZ & COFFEY, P.A. Belle Terre of Sunrise, Suite 101 7800 W. Oakland Park Boulevard Sunrise, FL 33351 Phone: (954) 572-7200 Fax: (954) 748-6488 Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Sam Coffey is licensed to practice law in Florida. This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Coffey strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


Would need to review the insurance coverage.


They can certainly sue for pain and suffering. As far as PIP I would need to review the insurance policy and all the facts. Be sure to have your husband see a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


Unless your car was a commercial vehicle (or insured outside of NJ), I am having trouble figuring out how your car insurance didn't have PIP. But like the other attorneys have said, not having PIP does not impact your right to bring a lawsuit - the right to bring a lawsuit is only impacted if the car was illegally unsinsured. That would require review of your car insurance policy - which is one of the first things that an experienced personal injury attorney will do in any auto case. Contact an attorney in your area. Good luck.

Each case is fact senstive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.


I hope your baby daughter is okay. I'm sorry your husband is having some back problems as a result of the accident.

If you have insurance but no PIP coverage - because you had a basic policy or a special dollar a day policy, your husband's medical bills may be recoverable from the driver of the other vehicle.

I suggest you contact an attorney who can assist you and your husband with both the issues relating to your husband's ability have the medical treatment he needs without PIP coverage and to obtain money damages for his injuries.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Due to the complexity and ever-changing nature of the law and to the limitations of this forum, this information may not be adequate for your specific situation.


I agree with my colleagues. You should be able to file a claim and lawsuit. Get copies of all medical records and bring them to an experienced personal injury attorney in your area. Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


Yes. Get a personal injury lawyer. Here, I Googled one for you with a low 28% fee. so you get the most compensation available.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer