Skip to main content

My husband (soon to be ex) is a "sex addict." How will this affect his chances for custody of our children. I am a SAHM.

San Antonio, TX |

His addiction includes porn, cybersex, affairs, craigslist ads, stripclub, etc. and this is only the stuff I know about. He claims he never did any of this in front of the kids, but I know of at least one instance when he masturbated to porn with not only the kids and I in the other room, but my son's friends and their mother in the house as well. My concern is for my precious young daughter. I don't know the extent of his "addiction" and do not want my kids around him unsupervised. He has started counseling, but I know he is still cheating. He has never been honest during counseling even when we were trying to save our marriage. I didn't know then what I know now, and I'm certain I still don't know everything. I am a SAHM and volunteer at my kid's school and our church.

Attorney Answers 1


If you can establish that he provides an unsuitable environment for the child, then the judge may decide to give you sole custody. Him masturbating alone while you and your daughter are in another room is not grounds for losing custody (if it was, then 99% of fathers in this country would lose custody), but if you can establish other erratic behavior, then you have a shot. You should consult with a family law attorney about this.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics