My husband (Separated & soon to divorce) has a finance that went delinquent on a vehicle that he no longer has.

Asked about 1 year ago - Frankfort, KY

Am I held accountable for it if he does not pay it? Am I accountable for any of it since I had no decision in the financing in the first place? The financing place is trying to garnish my wages and I was just wondering how I can prevent this situation if possible. Thank You.

1. Ronald Lee Burdge

Pro

1

Answered . If you didn't sign on the loan then you should not owe it but if they are trying to garnish wages then that indicates they already have a court judgment against you and they are trying to now collect on it. Those two things are not consistent with each other. You really need to talk to a local attorney. Call the Frankfort Bar Association and ask for a referral to a nearby attorney so you can go over this whole thing and straighten it out. If the judgment is wrong then they can tell you what you need to do to set it aside. It would be worth a modest consultation fee just to know for sure what you can do. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Consumer Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote UP” review below. And be sure to mark your Best Answer so Avvo lawyers know we are doing a good job. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge, www.CarSalesFraud.com