My husband, a US citizen, has a copy of his polish birth certificate. What is the next step to apply for Polish citizenship?

Asked 10 months ago - Mountain View, CA

His mother is Polish and helped us get a Polish birth certificate. We also have a copy of his US Passport, our marriage license, his long form New York birth certificate. I believe the next step is to visit the consulate in Los Angeles, but we live 6 hours north, to have the documents translated and to acquire an application for citizenship. It would be helpful to use an attorney instead of having to go to LA.

1. Michael Charles Doland

4

Answered . The correct place to ask this question is the Polish consulate nearest your residence or the Polish embassy in Washington DC. I see you don't wish to visit LA if not necessary but perhaps you can at least get the information and handle by mail.

2. Lindsey Sara Weller

5

Answered . This website is intended to assist people with US immigration issues. You will need to find someone specifically familiar with polish law in order to assist you.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

5

Answered . The best and the most legally appropriate way to consider any eligibility and application for a Polish citizenship should be contacting a closest Polish Consulate General in California or the Polish Embassy in Washington, DC to receive an exact legal guidance on that issue.

4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

1

Answered . Yes, it would be smart to hire an attorney. Contact one of many of the avvo list.