Skip to main content

My husband, a US citizen, has a copy of his polish birth certificate. What is the next step to apply for Polish citizenship?

Mountain View, CA |

His mother is Polish and helped us get a Polish birth certificate. We also have a copy of his US Passport, our marriage license, his long form New York birth certificate. I believe the next step is to visit the consulate in Los Angeles, but we live 6 hours north, to have the documents translated and to acquire an application for citizenship. It would be helpful to use an attorney instead of having to go to LA.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The correct place to ask this question is the Polish consulate nearest your residence or the Polish embassy in Washington DC. I see you don't wish to visit LA if not necessary but perhaps you can at least get the information and handle by mail.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  2. This website is intended to assist people with US immigration issues. You will need to find someone specifically familiar with polish law in order to assist you.

    Ms. Weller's firm is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

  3. The best and the most legally appropriate way to consider any eligibility and application for a Polish citizenship should be contacting a closest Polish Consulate General in California or the Polish Embassy in Washington, DC to receive an exact legal guidance on that issue.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  4. Yes, it would be smart to hire an attorney. Contact one of many of the avvo list.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics