My HOA sent me an invoice for a repair to a common area that is the HOA's responsibility to repair. Can they place a lein?

Alexandria, VA |
Filed under: HOA liens

The repair was to a common area pipe that serviced more than one unit. Under the CC&R, all common area repairs are the HOA's responsibility. The other unit owner arranged for a plumber, who I didn't trust and tried to replace. The plumber then made the repairs without receiveing writen authorization, or even giving me a written estimate.

When I refused to pay the plumber for unauthorized work, the HOA then paid the plumber and sent me an invoice for the entire bill.

I told the HOA I wouldn't pay the invoice, as I did not authorize the work and the repair was to a common area.

How do I get the HOA to not place a lein, or remove the lein once placed?

Many thanks

You have to read the CC&Rs. Only after reading them can someone assess the situation.

Virginia law does allow liens for assessments and special assessments and fines and fees depending.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.