My HOA states they are not liable for damage "inside" our Condo but the damage is a result of occurences in the "common" area?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Costa Mesa, CA

Please help! The cement foundation of my patio literally cracked in half seemingly overnight. Come to find out , it was caused by an overgrown tree located outside of my Patio (in the common area ) who's root had grown under the fence , under my foundation resulting in the damage. it was a battle to even get them to remove the tree / root from the area inside my patio. When I asked them to fix the foundation, they refused stating it was "inside" of my property and therefore my responsibility? Now, our Complex(condominiums) are infested with termites and our HOA is refusing to pay for the fumigation , again with the excuse the termites are "inside" our homes / owner responsibility. The termites came from OUTSIDE , they are in our shared walls isn't this their responsibility?

1. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

1

Answered . you need to hire an attorney specialized in construction type cases. The HOA has liability for damages caused by common area issues. However, you will need to establish that it is the common area which caused your problem. Good luck.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . Your situation is much more complicated than can be responded to within this forum.

Generally speaking, such cases require expert witnesses to ascertain causation. Sometime it is due to construction defects, sometimes due to failure to maintain. Are other owners' patios cracking?

As for the termite fumigation, it should be the HOA's responsibilty. Since the HOA is responsible for maintaining the common areas, the HOA is responsible for treating the termites (and repairing the structure if it needs repairing.)

See Civil Code ยง1364.