My hedge fund is involved in a fraud commited by absolute fund advisors , how long can sec recovery take?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

SEC vs JASON J. KONIOR, ABSOLUTE FUND ADVISORS, LLC is the case i wanted to get an opinion how long it can take for hedge funds to recover the money? thank you in advance

1. Robert V Cornish Jr.

Answered . I hate to break it to you, but the SEC generally is NOT in the business of returning money to investors. They enforce the securities laws and often work with the Justice Dep't in doing so. In many cases, the SEC will seek disgorgement or fines, but that doesn't necessarily mean that such funds go to aggrieved investors.

There are, of course, instances where the SEC has been able to get converted funds back in the hands of investors through equity receiverships. This is not a pretty process and the time frame for a return of funds will likely be more than 3 years. Stanford investors haven't seen a dime although the receivership is nearly 3 years old.