My health provider has stopped seeing patients covered by insurance. Only see patients covered by medicaid. Legal?

Clarkston, MI |

my son was put in a court ordered program for substance abuse and really likes the people he is working with. Now we have been told that they will no longer work with patients with insurance, only medicaid patients. I know we will not qualify for medicaid. Is this legal?

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, a doctor does not have an obligation to take private insurance. The burdens that insurances put on providers can be excessive; many physicians are dropping out of insurances altogether.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

Yes, it is legal. A third party (you for instance) cannot force the doctor to contract with any private insurer. I would suggest you see if they have anyone they can refer you to.

Business topics