My H1B will be terminating in 10 days and I have an option to go back on F1, I found a sponsor who can process my H1. What to do

Asked almost 2 years ago - Austin, TX

I came in USA on F1 and then got H1 before completion of degree, now my H1B is going to terminate in 10 days. I have an option 1) togo back on F1 for a semester to complete my degree( applying COS) 2) I found a sponsor who can do my H1B. But since I have very less time for H1b processing to be done and I do not want to be out of status for even a single day to avoid unnecessary hassale to going to home country. IS it ok is I apply for COS(F1) and also start the process of H1B transfer. If H1 gets approved early(PP) then what will happen to my COS(F1) or if COS(F1) got approved early in case what will happen to my H1B application. First of all is it legel to apply for two COS together( another H1 and F1) ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my colleague. If you wish to file the two application on the same time, you need to consult with an attorney to understand the pro and cons of the strategy.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Pick ONE application and stick with it.

    You do NOT want a COS and EOS (change of employer) to be pending at the same time.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Considering the timeline of events, it is best you discuss your situation with a competent immigration attorney regarding your needs. A professional will be able to guide you and provide options.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Related Topics

H1B speciality occupation visa

If you have special skills and the right experience, you might be eligible for a H-1B visa if there is a shortage of qualified workers.

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,611 answers this week

3,296 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,611 answers this week

3,296 attorneys answering