My H1B visa is expiring 8/30/2013, that is the 6 year term is done on 8/30/2013. I went to my home country on 9/16/2012,

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

And stayed there ever since. Therefore I didn't actually used the last year approved on my H1B. My question is if I got a job offer this November, can I have the employer extend my H1B from 11/2013 to 11/2014? Or do I have to apply for a new H1B, since cap-gap is a problem, so I am worried that to apply for a new H1B is not practical. I am a China National, and I have never filed any green card petition.

1. Lynn Marie O'Brien

5

Answered . You can use the remainder time- or if you stay outside the US for one year, you can restart the clock and obtain 6 more years in H-1.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

4

Answered . You can either use the time remaining on your H1-b or leave the US for a year and restart your 6 year clock.

3. Dana Roxana Bucin

3

Answered . You should not be subject to cap, and you can do either of the two.