My H1B stamp on my passport is still valid although I already moved back to my home country. Question is: can I use H1B visa for

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

My H1B stamp on my passport is still valid although I already moved back to my home country. Question is: can I use H1B visa for coming back to the country for closing my bank account and selling my car? It's been 3 months since I quit my US job and traveled back to my country.

1. James A. Bach

Pro

3

Answered . You cannot use your H-1B visa for that purpose. Instead you should travel to the US as a visitor (using a B-2 visa or the Visa Waiver Program [ESTA]). Probably, the employer has already cancelled the H-1B visa. One possible outcome of using the H-1B visa is that you could be subject to "Expedited Removal" and barred from the US for five years. Even worse, if the immigration inspectors believe you have told them a lie (that you are still working for the H-1B employer) you could be barred from the US forever.

2. Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

1

Answered . Your H1B is solely for you to work in the US for the qualified employer. You should return on a visitor visa or visa waiver, depending on your country of nationality.

3. Christian Schmidt

Answered . The visa would be only good for coming back to the US to resume employment under an approved H-1B petition. You would have to apply for a visitor visa or travel under the ESTA program if you are eligible.