My guestion is if you fine a ticket in the casino on the floor. Can the casino keep you from going and make you pay it back.

Crowley, TX |
Filed under: Business

My wife found two tickets on floor worth little over $200.00 . Now they wont let her stay at the casino when I go . Said she has a eviction and can't stay on property until she pays it back.

Please update your question with information for us to try to suggest things: Are you in a time-share or condo ? What do you mean eviction? Do the tickets show ownership or are they just face value slips? Are you and the Casino in Texas... I dont know if we still have Native American land casinos or not? If you are not in Texas, please post in that State as the laws are different. Thanks
Generally, money value casino tickets that I have seen are bearer instruments owned only by who has their possession.

Generally speaking, casinos have a right to do this. They will dispute the question of whether these tickets were abandoned or whether you unlawfully took something that did not belong to you. There may be terms/rules you agree to by playing/redeeming a ticket that disqualify you from winning on a "found" ticket, or subject you to this eviction. It may be in the casino rules which you agree to by staying in and partaking in the activities of the casino. There's too many factual questions to know for sure, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. You're either likely going to have to pay them, or find a different casino.

From a business standpoint, can you blame them? Casinos don't like to pay anyone, and they always try to be a profit-generating business, and make money on the margins even when they do make a payout. Your wife did not pay the casino for these tickets. Someone else did and someone else would have been entitled to those winnings. They're not going to want to pay your wife money that she did nothing to earn -- especially given the possibility that the previous holder of the tickets could get involved in legal action for them (unlikely given the low dollar value, but it's the thought that counts). So if going to this same casino is worth the $200 for you, then pay it back; otherwise, find another place to gamble.

I focus my practice on (video) gaming industry, casino gambling, and complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. I primarily represent game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies. The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics