My green card expires at the end of this month can I get anh extension

Asked 10 months ago - Kendall Park, NJ

I applied for my green card renewal in May, had my biometrics done in June and was told it would take 5-9 months for a renewal. They automatically extended my green card to January, but can it be extended again if there is no sign of my new green card. I am in the process of looking for a new job and need to travel overseas frequently, so I do need a current green card for proof of work status and residency. Also, is it usualy to get no information from USCIS during the entire process - there are no updates available other than it's pending - not a lot for 5 months of waiting?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

4

Answered . You may be able to get your passport stamped at an Infopass appointment. I'm not sure what you mean by "extended" because there is no such thing. IF you are referring to the stamp, you can get another stamp. There is no set limit, but after 2-3 stamping it gets more difficult. It is impossible to say why your case is taking a long time. A lawyer could place an inquiry on your behalf to get more information. You may also be eligible for citizenship, which would save you a lot of headache.

2. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

4

Answered . You can schedule an infopass appointment or call the toll free number listed on www.uscis.gov. You should be fine with the extension. You can get another one if your case is still pending.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Pro

4

Answered . schedule an infopass appointment

4. Irene Vaisman

3

Answered . Schedule an InfoPass appointment. They will stamp your passport if you show them the I-90 receipt. Have you thought about applying for citizenship?

5. John Robert Egan

Pro

3

Answered . Unfortunately the USCIS is not as user-friendly as we would all like. Your temporary extension will work for the issues you mention.

6. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Without reviewing your case of the LPR card it is impossible to provide an opinion what exactly might b the reason. However, having said that, five months in not inordinate amount of time to wait for a LPR renewal. You have to complete the process and receive a new card as your subsequent admission to the United States, absent a LPR stamp in the foreign passport or any evidence of action that your card renewal is pending, may create difficulties.

7. Daniel James Fisher

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with other attorneys. Schedule an Infopass appointment and USCIS should give a temporary stamp.

8. Dawn Chere Sequeira

1

Answered . You can make an Infopass appointment and have your passport stamped which you can use to travel. Yes, it is normal that you do not receive any correspondence. Have you called the NCSC number on the receipt notice? Have you checked the receipt notice online at www.uscis.gov? Be sure that no Request for Evidence was issued...

Please consult an immigration attorney. This does not constitute legal advice.