My great uncle died and since he had nobody really in his life that was alive exept me , who has the right to board his home and

Asked almost 2 years ago - Clearlake, CA

i have a letter from him stating i am theperson on his life whom is to take care of everything and i am to inherit the property
and all personal items now when i arrived the house is borded up what to do now

1. Tassma Ann Powers

Pro

3

Answered . You should determine if the letter that you have is a valid will, or if he had another document identified as a will. Once you know the status of your letter, then you will be better able to determine your rights and responsibilities to his estate. I think you should find a California probate attorney in your area to help you with the legal issues.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You need to take the letter and whatever information you have about his family-brothers, sisters,nieces, nephews etc to an attorney for review tomake a determination of next actions.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with the other two lawyers. I would add two things: 1) you can check the probate court in the county where the property is located to determine if anyone else has filed to open an estate, and 2) you can check the title records in that county, (which are usually available online), to determine if a deed was filed adding someone else to the title of this property. Once you know the answer to those two issues, I would contact a probate lawyer and determine how best to proceed.

James Frederick