My great uncle died and since he had nobody really in his life that was alive exept me , who has the right to board his home and

Clearlake, CA |

i have a letter from him stating i am theperson on his life whom is to take care of everything and i am to inherit the property
and all personal items now when i arrived the house is borded up what to do now

1. You should determine if the letter that you have is a valid will, or if he had another document identified as a will. Once you know the status of your letter, then you will be better able to determine your rights and responsibilities to his estate. I think you should find a California probate attorney in your area to help you with the legal issues.

I am licensed in Wyoming only. The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for on a web page. The information is intended as general information only, and is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

2. You need to take the letter and whatever information you have about his family-brothers, sisters,nieces, nephews etc to an attorney for review tomake a determination of next actions.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

3. I agree with the other two lawyers. I would add two things: 1) you can check the probate court in the county where the property is located to determine if anyone else has filed to open an estate, and 2) you can check the title records in that county, (which are usually available online), to determine if a deed was filed adding someone else to the title of this property. Once you know the answer to those two issues, I would contact a probate lawyer and determine how best to proceed.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

Wills and estates topics