My great uncle died and since he had nobody really in his life that was alive exept me , who has the right to board his home and

Asked over 2 years ago - Clearlake, CA

i have a letter from him stating i am theperson on his life whom is to take care of everything and i am to inherit the property
and all personal items now when i arrived the house is borded up what to do now

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should determine if the letter that you have is a valid will, or if he had another document identified as a will. Once you know the status of your letter, then you will be better able to determine your rights and responsibilities to his estate. I think you should find a California probate attorney in your area to help you with the legal issues.

    I am licensed in Wyoming only. The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to take the letter and whatever information you have about his family-brothers, sisters,nieces, nephews etc to an attorney for review tomake a determination of next actions.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the other two lawyers. I would add two things: 1) you can check the probate court in the county where the property is located to determine if anyone else has filed to open an estate, and 2) you can check the title records in that county, (which are usually available online), to determine if a deed was filed adding someone else to the title of this property. Once you know the answer to those two issues, I would contact a probate lawyer and determine how best to proceed.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,731 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,731 answers this week

3,672 attorneys answering