My grandson was just given 10x's his dosage of klonopin because his nurse mis-read his dosage. What can we do about this?

Asked over 2 years ago - Glendale, AZ

The nurse refuses to talk to my daughter without her boss present so she won't give us any information over the phone. I have read online that this can be fatal!

1. John P Ager

2

1

Answered . You need to speak to a lawyer, but I generally agree with Mr. Tomberg's analysis. Hopefully, there will be no long-term adverse consequences. The medical records and time will tell whether your grandson has a viable malpractice claim or what other remedies you might have. Medication errors are, unfortunatley, common and usually inexcusable. I'd be happy to speak with you at 602/648-3210.

2. Jeff Tomberg

2

1

Answered . negligence is the failure to do what a reasonable person would do or doing something a reasonable person would not do. medical malpractice requires that person to do something wrong to be a medical professional. however that alone is not sufficient to give you a lawsuit. the negligence must cause harm. in the field of medical malpractice suits the presuit requirements and the costs of experts results in many cases not being pursued because the injuries are simply not great enough to justify the tremendous costs and time necessary to pursue a claim.

without telling us what injury if any your grandson suffered no one can answer the question.. if your grandson suffered severe or profound injury then by all means see a lawyer.. if not you may wish to consult with a lawyer just to reassure yourself that nothing can be done.

as for the nurse if youre willing to go to the trouble and wont be upset that nothing significant is accomplished you can report the incident to the facility and if their is a regulatory board you can report the nurse for disciplinary action. however without significant injury the disciplinary board is most unlikely to do much of anything