My grandson was just given 10x's his dosage of klonopin because his nurse mis-read his dosage. What can we do about this?

Asked over 2 years ago - Glendale, AZ

The nurse refuses to talk to my daughter without her boss present so she won't give us any information over the phone. I have read online that this can be fatal!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John P Ager

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to speak to a lawyer, but I generally agree with Mr. Tomberg's analysis. Hopefully, there will be no long-term adverse consequences. The medical records and time will tell whether your grandson has a viable malpractice claim or what other remedies you might have. Medication errors are, unfortunatley, common and usually inexcusable. I'd be happy to speak with you at 602/648-3210.

    Your claim is probably governed by one or more limitations periods. This means that you must take certain actions... more
  2. Jeff Tomberg

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . negligence is the failure to do what a reasonable person would do or doing something a reasonable person would not do. medical malpractice requires that person to do something wrong to be a medical professional. however that alone is not sufficient to give you a lawsuit. the negligence must cause harm. in the field of medical malpractice suits the presuit requirements and the costs of experts results in many cases not being pursued because the injuries are simply not great enough to justify the tremendous costs and time necessary to pursue a claim.

    without telling us what injury if any your grandson suffered no one can answer the question.. if your grandson suffered severe or profound injury then by all means see a lawyer.. if not you may wish to consult with a lawyer just to reassure yourself that nothing can be done.

    as for the nurse if youre willing to go to the trouble and wont be upset that nothing significant is accomplished you can report the incident to the facility and if their is a regulatory board you can report the nurse for disciplinary action. however without significant injury the disciplinary board is most unlikely to do much of anything

    without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...... more

Related Topics

Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,155 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,155 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering