Skip to main content

My grandmothers green card expired 7 months ago. Is there a way she can renew it as an emergency?

Chicago, IL |

We live in Chicago. My grandfather is very ill and we are preparing for the worst. My grandmothers greencard is expired and in case my grandpa passes away my grandmother would go to take my Grandpa to Mexico. Her greencard has been expired for 7 months. Is there a way that we can renew her green card as an emergency?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. She needs to file for the renewal immediately. She may or may not be able to obtain a stamp on her passport showing she is a permanent resident.

    The real question here is why didn't she renew the card a year ago, instead of waiting until there is an emergency.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. She can request an expedite, and she may also be able to get a temporary stamp in her passport. I recommend getting an attorney to help.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. Counsel Ferrari provided a splendid advice: delaying a green card renewal any further must be avoided at all costs. The grandmother must file for its renewal at once. Additionally she must be prepared to explain the reason for not renewing it timely.
    Also, as a humanitarian measure the attorney of record may request its expeditious processing of the renewal, yet, as you may imagine, that cannot be guaranteed.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  4. I agree with the other attorneys. Your grandmother should renew the green card and ask for a stamp on her passport urgently.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq
    downtown Chicago office

  5. I agree with my colleague. File I-90 with her statement for missing the renewal period, and make an infopass to get an I-551 stamp in her passport.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics