My grandmother's estate was finally settled. How long before the executor mails me the inheritance check?

Asked about 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

My grandmother lived in Puerto Rico and that is where the will and estate were settled.

1. John W Weaver

Pro

2

Answered . I don't practice in Puerto RIco and I am unfamiliar with the specific laws applicable to that jurisdiction. However, a lot depends upon what has really occurred to constitute the estate having been "settled" ass you understand it. If there was a contested issue involving court proceedings, it may still be some time before the matter is ready to close. If on the other hand all of the decedent's bills have been paid and tax returns filed and a final accounting and proposed schedule for distribution for the estate has been distributed and approved, then it is merely a matter of when the executor completes the process. It would be simplest to call the executor and ask your question.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

Answered . What happens in PR stays in PR.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.