My grandmother passed away in 1998 and I need a copy of her will.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

There is now question as to whether my mentally challenged aunt received what was left to her. How do I get a copy of my late grandmother's will? We believe her trustee has taken this money. We are from Toronto Ontario Canada, not the city and state I listed below.

1. Brad Harris Milhauser

5

Answered . You can try searching the Orange County Public Records for information about whether an estate was opened. You can search by your grandmothers name. You are likely well past any statute of limitations to pursue an action for breach of fiduciary duty.

2. Don Paul Harvey

Pro

4

Answered . You can get limited information on the internet about what, if anything, may have been filed. As someone else has already pointed out, the statute of limitations immediately creeps into my mind as an issue. If no one has the will, and a probate was opened, it would have via intestate - operation of Florida law on who things were distributed. Proving a "lost" will with a copy here in Florida is anything short of a miracle.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

5

Answered . The court records of the county where probate occurred, if any, would have the available information.

4. Stephanie Sauer Woods

Pro

2

Answered . Go to: http://www.myorangeclerk.com/enu/Pages/orange-c...
    and click on "Look Up Cases on myClerk" which is located on the upper left hand side of the page. The click on "Probate Case Records" and do a search for your grandmother's name.
    You will be able to see any and all activity that took place in the court records, but will not be able to actually look at the documents filed in the matter. Once you get a case number you will need to go down to the courthouse to review the file. It may be in storage if your grandmother's estate was probated right after her passing.

5. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. If the Will was probated, then you should be able to obtain a copy of it through the county probate court, for a nominal charge. You will not be able to do anything at this point, however, because too much time has passed. Probate statutes of limitations tend to be very brief. Fifteen years is too long to wait.

James Frederick