My grandmother is in Intensive Care Unit. How can my mother obtain conservatorship over my grandmother? We reside in New York.

My grandmother's sister has forbidden the hospital to provide my mother and I with any information regarding the situation. My grandmother's sister wants access to my grandmother's benefits. My mother and I feel my grandmother is not receiving the best medical care. My mother wants to obtain conservatorship over my grandmother so we can have moved to a better hospital.

Staten Island, NY -

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Family Law Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

Go immediately to the Surrogate's Court in Richmond County and file a petition for a guardianship. Especially if your grandmother's health is at issue, do not wait. If you need help, contact an attorney here on Avvo or call the New York State Bar Association for a referral. If you want to call me, you may (718-878-6886). I am on the list of attorneys approved by the Office of Court Administration to be appointed Guardian, Court Evaluator and/or Attorney for AIP. If I can help you, I will.

Louis P Lepore

Louis P Lepore

Guardianship Law Attorney - Staten Island, NY

Before running to Court, I would check your Grandmother's documents for a Power of Attorney (POA) and Health Care Proxy (HCP). The POA and HCP can save your family time and legal fees. If your Grandmother does not have these documents, then seek out legal counsel to obtain Guardianship over your grandmother.

Related Advice