My grandmother died in march of 2013 overland , st. louis , mo. how can i find out if she left me something?

Asked 11 months ago - Houston, TX

how can i get information if i was listed as a beneficiary? i know my father who doesn't speak to me had power of attorney for her (he was taking care of her before she died, and very abusive to her) * he has some mental issues. (i even reported him for elderly abuse things were so bad, i know from my grandmother who told me)
now i have no way of knowing. he refused to let anyone be around her in her last months alive . now he has the house, and everything as far as i know that she had. (i know she did tell me he was gonna be left the house) but i am wishing to know if any personal belongings or anything else she might have left me. i loved her a lot, and it would mean a lot anything she might have left me.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Orsen E. Paxton III


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should re-post your question using St. Louis as the city instead of Houston. Probate and inheritance laws vary greatly from state to state.

    DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Steven John Clausen


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may want to contact the probate division of the Circuit Court in St. Louis and ask if a probate has been opened.

  3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Sorry for your loss.
    Her will must be filed at the county courthouse.
    You can check the public records.
    If it has not been filed-hire an attorney to send a demand letter that the will be filed.
    Once filed-you can tell if you were left anything.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now