MY GRANDFATHER PASSED AWAY 9 YEARS AGO AND LEFT ALL HIS MONEY TO HIS DAUGHTER THAT LIVED WITH HIM AND ONLY LEFT A FEW THOUSAND

Asked over 1 year ago - New City, NY

ONLY LEFT A FEW THOUSAND TO MY MOM. SHE DIDN'T CONTEST BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT HER SISTER NEEDED IT TO LIVE SINCE SHE DIDN'T WORK. NOW SHE'S ILL AND IN A HOME AND HAS ALL HER BANK ACCOUNTS ITF HER BOYFRIEND. THAT MONEY SHOULD BE MY MOM'S MONEY IF SHE PASSES. WHAT CAN WE DO TO CONTEST OR CHANGE THE ITF?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . Take the will to an attorney to review it. Nine years is a long time to contest a will. If it was accepted to probate, the you may have missed the boat.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

2

Answered . I am not exactly clear from the question who is who, but if I follow your grandfather had at least 2 daughters (your mom and another). You are making a presumption that your aunt's money should go to your mom but this is not the case.

Your grandfather was free to leave his assets to whomever he wished. The only exception to that is that a surviving spouse cannot be completely cut out of a spouse's estate. Other than that, there is no obligation - parents are free to disinherit children as they please. Absent some other facts you may raise you cannot get around that. I would suggest that if you really want to be sure about your rights, you contact an attorney, especially if there is some type of fraud or coercion involved.

3. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . The only way to get a true answer is to take the will to an attorney to have it reviewed.