MY GRANDFATHER PASSED AWAY 9 YEARS AGO AND LEFT ALL HIS MONEY TO HIS DAUGHTER THAT LIVED WITH HIM AND ONLY LEFT A FEW THOUSAND

New City, NY |

ONLY LEFT A FEW THOUSAND TO MY MOM. SHE DIDN'T CONTEST BECAUSE SHE THOUGHT HER SISTER NEEDED IT TO LIVE SINCE SHE DIDN'T WORK. NOW SHE'S ILL AND IN A HOME AND HAS ALL HER BANK ACCOUNTS ITF HER BOYFRIEND. THAT MONEY SHOULD BE MY MOM'S MONEY IF SHE PASSES. WHAT CAN WE DO TO CONTEST OR CHANGE THE ITF?

I am not exactly clear from the question who is who, but if I follow your grandfather had at least 2 daughters (your mom and another). You are making a presumption that your aunt's money should go to your mom but this is not the case.

Your grandfather was free to leave his assets to whomever he wished. The only exception to that is that a surviving spouse cannot be completely cut out of a spouse's estate. Other than that, there is no obligation - parents are free to disinherit children as they please. Absent some other facts you may raise you cannot get around that. I would suggest that if you really want to be sure about your rights, you contact an attorney, especially if there is some type of fraud or coercion involved.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

Take the will to an attorney to review it. Nine years is a long time to contest a will. If it was accepted to probate, the you may have missed the boat.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

The only way to get a true answer is to take the will to an attorney to have it reviewed.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates