My Grandfather owned a property lot in Texas over 40 years ago. He and my grandmother moved to California. My Dad continued

Asked about 2 years ago - Amarillo, TX

to pay the taxes on the lot. When my grandparents died the property did not go to probate. My parents have both passed away and I continue to pay the taxes on this property. What would I have to do to change then title over to me. It is only worth about
$5000.00. There are 3 surviving aunt and uncles. The property is still in my grandfathers nam but the bill has always come to us.

1. Steven John Clausen

Pro

2

Answered . You will need to hire an attorney to advise you whether it is economically feasible to do anything or let the property be sold in a tax sale.

2. Rafael Rodriguez Jr.

1

Answered . Based on the amount of information you have provided there are a number of different possibilities in getting the title of the property transferred to your name. An attorney can provide you with a preferable strategy if you discuss with them Information concerning the existence of wills by your grandparents, any transfer documents between your father and his siblings, any other potential interests in the property, your parent's wills, and all the relevant dates and time periods.

Speaking with an attorney and they can help you narrow down your options. Additionally, as the other answers have indicated. an attorney can guide you in process of dealing with the property taxes and the relevant taxing authorities.

3. Robert Gregg McCurry

1

Answered . I will defer to Texas Counsel, in Georgia even if everyone agrees the filing of quit claim deeds and affadivits of succession would cost at least $1500 to $2000 in attorney time. This assumes that there are no other heirs or minor children. Not really worth the investment for a $5,000 piece of property.

4. James P. Frederick

Answered . I agree with both of the prior answers. It seems like a lot of trouble to go through for $5,000 worth of property. I guess the question is, "How much is this property worth, to YOU?" If it is worth enough, then you should consult with a probate attorney and find out how you are going to be able to get title, or if it is even possible. It is likely that you would need to buy out the interests of heirs who are ahead of you, in line.

James Frederick