My grand baby's father has only seen her when she was born. She is now 7 years old, can we terminate his rights & make him pay

Asked 8 months ago - Dallas, TX

Thanks

1. Maria Sara Lowry

2

Answered . You can get or enforce orders for him to ay child support. His rights will probably not be terminated unless a step father is adopting at the same time, And you cannot both terminate his rights and get support from him.

You should hire an attorney to help you. It will make the process smoother, help you avoid problems you may not see coming, and will probably result in fewer trips to the courthouse.

2. Leslie Starr Barrows

Pro

Answered . If you have relinquishment from bio mom and bio dad then you could try to go through with the adoption. If you don't have relinquishment a then file for an enforcement. You need an attorney.

3. Aimee Elaine Manriquez

Pro

Answered . You haven't indicated whether the mother's rights are still intact. If they are, then I would recommend an action to get child support from the father rather than a termination of his rights. A judge is not likely to terminate his rights unless a step father is going to adopt the child at the same time. If the mother's rights are terminated or you have grounds to terminate her as well, then you will likely be able to terminate the father's rights and adopt the child. However, once his rights are terminated you will not be able to get child support from him.