My god son mother would like to give me custody of him. How do we go start the process?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

At the moment She is financially and mentally unfit to care for her special needs child.

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

1

1

Answered . File a petition with the Family Court in your county. By going to the Petition window in the courthouse, a clerk will be assigned who will assist you in filing out the application and explain the procedures for serving her. Then on the court date (usually about 4-6 weeks later) the Judge can generally give you a custody order if the mother is consenting. In any event, for a full assessment, I'd advise to schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

1

Answered . Proceed to obtain an order on consent from the Family Court pursuant to a custody petition. Use or at least consult a family law attorney to do it most efficiently and correctly.