Skip to main content

My girlfriend was just picked up on a misdemeanor probation violation. She has been in prison 3 days, can she expect to get out?

Allentown, PA |

She has been in prison now for 3 days now. we were both convicted of misdemeanor charges about 4 years ago...and have moved in the last 8 months. We both wrote a letter to our prob. officer telling her of the move. We have the same prob. officer. Recently she was stopped for a traffic violation..and a warrent showed up for her arrect..for probation violation. She has kept in touch..we both have the same prob. officer...our prob. is up in 6 months..we have kept our noses clean..if her residence was in question..why didn't our probation officer..just ask me or send a letter to my residence..which is also my GF residence. Now she is in prison..has seen no Public Def. or talked to anyone in Probation. Help!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Until the probation violation is heard by the judge, it is unlikely that she will be released. The quickest way to resolve these situations here in NJ (and presumably in PA), is for her lawyer (I read what you said about her not seeing the PD yet) to address the situation with the probation officer, the prosecution and the Court. A failure to report and an unauthorized change of address are both technical probation violations. If at all possible, on her behalf, consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in PA, or try to contact the PD office to see when she will be assigned a PD, to discuss potential mitigating factors that can be presented on her behalf, and to see if this hearing can be expedited. Good luck.

Since I do not practice law in your State, this answer is provided solely for informational purposes only, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.


Get an attorney involved who should call the PO. Since your post dose not indicate that She was violated for the change in address she will want to confirm why she was violated. She should have an attorney move on this ASAP because she can sit in jail several weeks just waiting for the Gagnon ( Violation of Probation) hearing.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer