My girlfriend needs a criminal attorney who is willing to take payments..she has been charged with some serious drug charges.

Marshall, NC |

My girlfriend has been charged with some multiple trafficking opium or herion as well as optaing prescription by fraud/forgery..we know she is looking at ALOT of time & although she has a public defender we feel more comfortable having an attorney that does not just treat her case as another file on the desk or treat her as 'just another criminal' ... she needs someone that is going to fight for her, we can make payments, but we dont have the entire retainer fee right now... can someone, anyone help us??? please ??

As pointed out, in this economy; many attorneys are flexible. Seek to come up with a basic "lump sum" for an initial retainer; and your ability to locate an attorney for a payment plan will be much easier. Of course, you also need to determine whether having an attorney at the EARLY stages of prosecution (i.e.: through the preliminary hearing is best); or, if it is better to wait until after the preliminary hearing to seek to retain counsel, especially if funds are limited!

And, unless there is a real good basis to work out an early "disposition" of the case; it is generally wise to use your funds to retain a private attorney when such services are most beneficial; which in many serious cases is AFTER the preliminary hearing. As an aside, if you found my direction helpful, and if you feel appropriate; could you be so kind as to designate my answer as the “best” answer to your question? I truly wish you the best of Luck!

I'm not sure what the legal term is called but this is her 2nd court date 1st one she was appointed a public defender however due to the severity of her charges she feels she needs a hired attorney who may not be so overloaded and just see her as a another file on his desk & really fight for her..so is this coming court date (1/31)called a peliminary hearing? And when is it that she asks judge 2 hire her own IF we can find one with not much down?

also what exactly or approxiamently is a "lump sum" for initial retainer fee? how much aprroxiamently will an attorney cost for charges such as she has?

Eugene Andre Ahtirski

Eugene Andre Ahtirski

From your comments, I would suggest that you seek to discuss fee arrangements with local private criminal defense attorneys ASAP! And, for working out a "payment plan"; “lump sum” means it usually helps if you have $1,500-$2,500 to start and THEN agree to make smaller payments on a regular basis thereafter! Regarding the nature of the proceedings; serious criminal cases usually take place in two stages - the first STAGE is where a probable cause hearing occurs (that is usually known as the preliminary hearing) stage. And, it can take up to 6 Court appearances before that event actually occurs. The second STAGE of the proceedings is where a case is set to go to trial after "probable cause" has been found to exist that a crime was committed and that the defendant was connected to the crime. In most serious felony cases, with limited funds; the question is: Should I hire a lawyer for stage 1 or stage 2? Usually, a private lawyer can do the most good after stage 1 is complete, as the standard of proof is very low! BUT, please consult local criminal attorneys to get a FULL understanding of what is possible and when you should hire a lawyer. Unfortunately, this is really NOT the proper place to get an accurate assessment of WHEN to hire a lawyer and HOW MUCH it will cost; as that requires a discussion of ALL of the facts of the case. Good Luck!

There are many criminal defense attorneys that will work with your girlfriend on a payment plan. Your best bet is to Google criminal defense attorneys in Asheville, then start looking at their websites. If they offer payment plans, they will say so. Good luck to you.

Fred Amos provides legal representation in Wake County, North Carolina. Any answer provided through this discussion board is a general response to the question and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to this question does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always seek the advice of a lawyer directly to address your specific circumstances. Free consultation and flexible payment plans for DWI's. Call 919-803-7208.

Many take payment plans Contact a few and discuss it.

Are you expecting a tax return? Maybe you could put those funds towards hiring an attorney. Trafficking carries a mandatory minimum prison sentence. I would make sure you do what you can to get an attorney involved in the case that you are comfortable with. Good luck!