My girlfriend just got a sale of controlled substance 3rd degree

Little Falls, NY |

she has never been in trouble before what is the best she is looking at

1. Much more information is needed. The max is 9 years in jail but a judge can give 5 years probation. Maybe the DA will offer a lesser charge. Mayve the case is defensible. She should hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. A best case scenario would be getting the matter dismissed. There is also the possibility the she can receive a reduced charge or a non-jail sentence. She is facing jail time. Her attorney would be in a better position to answer this question. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. The best she is looking at is a dismissal of the charges, but it is really impossible to give an accurate assessment without knowing all the facts and circumstances, as well as the local practices of the DA's office and the court where her case is pending. Hire a local reputable criminal defense lawyer. This is a very serious charge.

4. Best is no jail, possibly in a program, leading to a dismissal.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.