Skip to main content

My girlfriend is thinking about running away and I want to help her, what should I do?

Orange, CA |

She is having a rough time at home and has been abused and threatened to be hurt by her parents, I just want to help her out as much as I can. She also is scared of reporting this and doesn't want me saying anything either. Please answer as soon as possible so that I can help my girlfriend.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Make an anonymous call to Child Protective Services.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. **************CAUTION*************** CAUTION*************** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION************ Readers should be cautioned that AVVO cannot be relied on as they have a corrupt and dishonest rating system. AVVO routinely allows "client reviews" to be posted by individuals that are not "real" clients. AVVO does not ensure that the public receives truthful accurate information.

  2. IF you have personally observed the abuse [not just her being told shae cannot participate in some ctivity], you can and probably should report it. You can do so through the local police hot tip type phone number. If You have seen it, you can also report it to a school counselor.
    DO NOT help her run unless it is to take her to the cops to make a report or to a shelter.
    As her friend, you need to make her understand that running and being on the street, which is where she will probably end up, is very unsafe and her existence can be much more dangerous than reporting her parent.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.