My girlfriend is claiming that she has found a way to get a marriage license without me being involved.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

She wants us to marry and she is claiming that she can get the paperwork done on her own. How can I stop her from comitting this fraud? I would rather just stop it now than have to go around proving that it is a fraud later.

Can I go to the county office and sign a declaration that I am single?

1. John George Ducey

3

Answered . Run as fast as you can and as far as you can.

John Ducey

2. Kimberly Pelkey Sdeo

2

Answered . I also have not heard of this and it would be difficult to accomplish as not only would she need to provide the required documents, but she would need someone from the municipality to witness a false signature on the license application. More information regarding obtaining marriage licenses in NJ can be found here, http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_ap....

3. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

1

Answered . I have never heard of this.

4. Laura Ruvolo Lipp

Pro

1

Answered . Legal stuff aside, why on earth is someone who is threatening to do this still your girlfriend?

5. James F Paguiligan

Answered . Good Morning. Required documents when applying for a marriage license. I'm not sure how your girlfriend is going to be able to get around this. :

Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
    Proof of your residency.
    Your social security card or social security number.*
    A witness, 18 years of age or older.
    The $28 application fee.