My girlfriend is charged with my crime. Is there any way I can admitted to the crime and get her charges dropped?

Asked over 1 year ago - Waukegan, IL

I was arrested on different charges. I did my time. She is still fighting the case, and I don't want her to have to deal with what I did. It's theft. In Illinois, lake county.

1. David Alan Zipp

5

Answered . Did you do the crime? If so, you certainly can contact the prosecuting attorney and admit to this. Be cautioned that if your girlfriend did commit the crime and/or she was an accomplice, you could end up yourself in trouble and not do a thing to assist her. She should speak to her attorney and obtain discovery from the prosecutor. If you are implicated in any way, it will likely be in the discovery.

I admire your nobility here sir, but be very careful and consult with an attorney and gather the facts before you offer yourself up as a sacrificial lamb.

2. Joshua Sachs

2

Answered . Very, very dangerous. The most likely outcome is that nobody would believe your statement and in the end she would do time for theft and you would do additional time for perjury and obstruction of justice. Bad idea. Very bad idea.

3. David B Pittman

Pro

3

Answered . Do not think about committing perjury if you did not commit this crime. Consult a criminal lawyer.

4. Scott Stewart Finger

1

Answered . Whatever you do, do not go to the State's Attorney or police without a lawyer. If you are in Chicago, you can call First Defense Legal Aid at 1-800-LAW-REP-4. FDLA provides free representation to those under investigation or arrest by the Chicago Police Department. If your're not in Chicago, call a lawyer in your area (or 2 or 3!) for a free consultation.

5. Robert Edward Fenster

2

Answered . Do not do anything without speaking face to face with a lawyer.