Skip to main content

My girlfriend is 17 and adopted, can she move out without her parents consent?

Flint, MI |
Filed under: Child adoption

My girlfriend is 17 years old. Her adoption family is moving to oregon but they are kicking her out of the house when she's 18 so she wants to stay here because she's just going to have to move and come right back. If she stays here she can get college credits from a program that she is in at school right now. She has many different options of places to live. Can she legally move out without her parents consent?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. She will have to file a petition with the court to seek Emancipation. She should consult with an experienced Family Law lawyer like to myself to assess her chances of success at seeking Emancipation (for example, she will have to prove to the court she can be financially independent). I wish her all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

  2. She probably will not be allowed to leave unless the Court determines that she live by herself. Perhaps the adoptive parents can come to some sort of agreement with another family in the area for the time until she becomes an adult. I would consult with an attorney to discuss your options. Best of luck to you.

    This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Child adoption topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics