My gf has been divorced 5 years. Her ex just recently started paying her child support and pension

Hicksville, NY |

The 2 lawyers are working out how to pay the back money. Isn't she entitled to interest

She should receive interest if there was a judgment in place. If your girlfriend was seeking this Support for over five years and filed enforcement actions, it is highly likely that there are judgments in place.

Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure Defense, Consumer Defense and other areas of general practice primarily in Suffolk & Nassau County. His office, Alarcon Law Firm, practices only in New York State and offers the best attorney rates in the Long Island area. His office may be reached at (631) 867-2348.

If child support is in arrears, then a finding of willfulness is possible along with a money judgment, interest and legal fees. Consult with an experienced family law attorney.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

She is not entitled to interest unless there is a judgment awarding it. She may request such an award in a court proceeding.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce