My GF baby daddy served her with court papers to not allow her and her son to move from California. What are her chances?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I live in Miami, FL and in the military. I've been with my GF for over 2 years and the distance is killing us. So last year I told her to move in with me and she agreed. We just wanted to wait to make sure her son finished school so there was no break. She just broke the news to her ex last month and he freaked out. The father sees his kid on a normal basis however does not provide any support for him. He is now claiming that because I'm in the military and due to me not being introduced to him, he should have full custody of him. I understand that she will be quitting her job and changing her kids lifestyle, but I believe a family is what is best for him and I'm willing to provide that. My goal is to marry her withing the next two years. What can we do?

1. Andrew G. Storie

2

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleague Mr. Bachert, however, if there has been no court ordered timesharing previously entered by the Court and they were never married, she has sole parental responsibility and 100% timesharing. As a result, the relocation statute wouldnt apply until there was a Court ordered timesharing plan or parental responsibility ordered. However, if he filed for timesharing with the Court, there may be an Administrative Order in your county that prevents the child's address from being changed pending the Court action.

2. Daniel A. Bachert

3

Answered . Unless you girlfriend can prove that the move will be in the best interest of the child the relocation will not be permitted. Your girlfriend needs to review Florida Statute 61.13001. The court cannot prevent her from relocation but it can certainly prevent the child from being relocated. She will definitely need the assistance of an attorney with this type of action.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951
    Palm-Beach-Divorces.com