My GC was based on an EB2 approval with my present employer. i understand that i can change employer if the petitioning employer

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

does not comply with the prevailing wage on my labor cert application (i-140) but the thing is, i have a pending i-824 petition which was filed just recently. for how long do i need to stay so as not to affect my citizenship application in the future and in a way affect the i-824 petition. thank you very much for your reply on the matter.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . So your I-485 was approved and now your employer is not paying you the prevailing wage as determined by DOL, and you want to sponsor a derivative family member overseas through consular processing and are asking whether you can quit and move to a new employer OR your I-485 is still pending and only the PERM and I-140 have been approved? I'm not sure which facts apply to you. The I-485 once filed and still pending can be ported to a new employer after pending for 180 days. Once approved, and "if" you can substantiate by pay stubs your claim of underpayment by your employer not in harmony with the PWD, than you should file a complaint with the DOL Wage and Hourly Division and once initiated you can move to a different employer or stay with your current employer but at least you have taken diligen steps to document that you are not at fault for departing your sponsoring employer after they went through all the trouble of getting you a GC but that it is them who are in violation of the PWD and therefore you left and sought employment elsewhere in good faith.

  2. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree, and, hire an immigration attorney

  3. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Calehr.

    If you have additional questions, you can always contact an immigration lawyer directly, whether myself or one of my colleagues.
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I think attorney Calehr has spelled it out nicely.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,988 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,988 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering