My garnishment ended in oct 2012 was just told today by human resources theres another garnishment for initerest starting

Buffalo, NY |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

original debt was paid off after 5 years of garnishment

Interest accrues after judgment in NY at a rate of 9% per year. I would ask HR to provide a copy of the 'new garnishment' figures, as you should really check on the calculation.

Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure Defense, Consumer Defense and other areas of general practice primarily in Suffolk & Nassau County. His office, Alarcon Law Firm, practices only in New York State and offers the best attorney rates in the Long Island area. His office may be reached at (631) 867-2348.

Interest is 9 percent per year so if you were only paying the principal you likely owe more money.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.