My friends mother work only 1 year now she turn 65 .can she get social security benefit or any benefit so she can survive.

Orange, CA |

my friend's mother work only 1 year. now she turn 65 .can she get social security benefit or any benefit so she can survive. she don't have job and she already turn 65.

She might be able to SSI. Did she have a spouse that died or from which she was divorced. There are spousal and survivor benfits. Go to to see if she might meet the criteria.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.

The Government imposes certain require requirements regarding the length of time a person must have worked to earn SSI. Absent piggy backing on a spouse's social security it is unlikely that this woman has satisfied those requirements

This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship and is just my opinion based upon the limited facts presented.

If she is financially indigent, she can apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

There is NO minimum work period required to file for SSI. Over 65 and poor is the requirement.

However, for Social Security Retirement, she will need to see if she has a spouse from whom she became divorced or widowed, where the marriage was of sufficient length, to see if she may collect a divorced spouse benefit or a widow benefit, based on that spouse's work record.

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., of JoyDisability, is an attorney licensed in New Jersey, but currently practicing federal Social Security Disability law in all 50 states from her PA office. Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor do they constitute legal advice. Rather, if you need representation or legal advise, you need to make direct contact yourself, and inquire. We welcome and respond to all phone calls and emails.

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security