My friends Id were taken from me. Would I have a criminal record or jail time ?

Baltimore, MD |

I had two of my friend Ids in my wallet and a security guard went through my wallet and handed it to the cops. I did not use it for any illegal activity neither did I present them as myself. Would I go to jail or have a criminal record?"

Have you been cited with a violation or otherwise received notice of criminal charges filed against you? Please don't post any more details about what you did, but it would help if you would tell us what has happened to you as a result of this incident. The most efficient way to get an answer is to consult with a local criminal defense attorney in a private setting. Most of the attorneys who participate here offer free, if limited, consultations. Use that to your advantage to get concrete answers to your question from someone who will have all of the pertinent information available to them. God luck.

Putting aside the issue of why a security guard was going through your wallet, mere possession of someone else's ID is not a crime. If you do get charged consult an attorney.

Whether you are sentenced, depends on whether you are ultimately charged and convicted. In attorney can assist you with evaluating the states case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, in helping you decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you are found guilty, then an attorney can assist you in presenting mitigation, allocution, and request for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Online posts are not confidential. Beware that if somehow the prosecution were to find your posts, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

You cannot be charged with a crime for merely possessing the i.d.s of others. So I really do not understand your concern, it sounds as if the items were not seized and it seems you were not arrested or given a citation. No worries.

Fake i.d.s could be a cause for concern.

If anything comes out of this call a lawyer