My friends father died, the property was in the will to be split 3 ways. One died. The brother was named executor. For 5 years

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

he has not done anything, including paying taxes. The brother 's house and business were about to go into bankruptcy. Now, all of a sudden he has a new truck, and so does my friends mom. On the property is a notice from a mortgage company saying not to trespass, or enter. Something fishy is going on and my friend just wants to fix up the property, sell it, and get her share. Supposedly, the brother has now lost his position as executor. My friend needs help. She is getting ripped off. What has the brother done with the property? She is on the will. Who can she contact? What can she do? She has no money. Thank you, JA

1. Orsen E. Paxton III

Pro

6

Answered . Good advice so far. But, the reality is that even if your friend determines that there is a probate pending in court and even if she inspects that file and reads every document in it, she is not going to be able to actually "do" anything without the help of an experienced probate lawyer and one that is experienced in probate litigation. If the assets are significant enough these lawyers will consider working on a contingent fee basis (a percentage of the value of the estate). Your friend might be able to become the "administrator with Will annexed" for the estate. In that case her legal fees would be paid out of the estate assets. On the other hand, it may be too late to preserve the assets if the house has been foreclosed on, which is what it sounds like.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Brian Mitchell Mekdsy

Pro

6

Answered . This sounds like it could potentially be a very difficult situation. I would recommend your friend do what Mr. Frederick suggests and go to the probate court in the county where the father lived to find out if a probate estate was opened.

It is important that your friend contact a probate attorney as soon as possible to find out what options he/she has given the circumstances.

If money is an issue, your friend may be able to get assistance from a legal aid organization.

3. James P. Frederick

5

Answered . Is there an estate open? Was there EVER an estate open? If so, there is a file with a whole lot of information that you need to get to a lawyer as soon as possible. You do not have enough information, (at least not in your summary), to be able to give you much guidance. It sounds like the court may have caught up with the executor, and the estate may have lost the property. You need to investigate further and try to determine what is going on.

James Frederick