My friend went to job interview in which they told her she could not be gay and work there. They ask her if she was gay. Legal?

Asked over 4 years ago - Morehead, KY

The job interview was at a Juvenile Home for girls. She is qualified to do the job. They ask her if she was gay and she lied to them because she thought i was none of their business. She then told them she lived with roommate and they ask if it was sexual. They tdl her they fired a guy because they found out he was gay. Is this legal? You can tell she is gay and they told her they would get back with her. Can they ask those questions and not hire because she is gay?

1. Mark S Guralnick

Answered . This may constitute a form of sex discrimination. Currently, there is a bill pending known as the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which will address sexual orientation and sexual preference issues... The current law is less than clear about these issues. But I believe the questions your friend was asked were improper, and I'd be interested in speaking further with you about this situation. Please feel free to contact me (no charge).

If you feel this post was helpful, please click the thumbs up (helpful) tab. Thanks.

Mark S. Guralnick
    1-866-337-2900
    msglegal@comcast.net