My friend was given a citation for drag racing, and was driving under the speed limit. What do we do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Des Moines, IA

My friend drives a 2011 Ford Mustang (Premium V6 model) and was next to a Chevy Cobalt at a stop light. The Cobalt preceded to peel out at the light, and my friend gently accelerated. The cop was 2 blocks down, and out of sight. He pulled both of the cars over, and preceded to give them both a citation for drag racing. He has a court date set in late July? Do we need a lawyer? What evidence can we gather to help our case?

1. Colin Christopher Murphy

3

Answered . Under Iowa Code section 321.278, the state's drag racing statute, traveling in excess of the posted speed limit is an important element of the offense. Testimony along the lines you describe may generate reasonable doubt as to guilt. Officer may attributing sound of Cobalt to the Mustang, especially if he didn't visually observe cars exceeding speed limit.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

3

Answered . You should at least consult with a lawyer in your area to determine likely outcomes, possible outcomes and the worst consequences. Don't just go into it blindly.

3. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . Consult a local Traffic Ticket Attorney - usually inexpensive & free initial consultation. You may have a good defense to this citation