My friend was driving my car and hit a deer (we were both in the car). I do not have insurance that covers this.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ithaca, NY

What should we do in this situation? What is legally mandated

Pro

12

Answered . Have your friend pay for the repairs.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Pro

10

Answered . It's a tough lesson to learn. Carry collision coverage.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

10

Answered . Your friend was driving, he hit the deer, he pays for the damage.

You can't get money from the deer.

4. Peter C. Bowman

Pro

8

Answered . If your friend has insurance it is possible that he may provide coverage for this incident. I also agree with the above answers.

5. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

8

Answered . You can ask your friend to pay. You can use your friend for the money and probably lose a friend. You can chalk it up to experience and have collision coverage in the future.

6. Kevin Coluccio

7

Answered . You should have coverage, but, it will depend on your policy. You need to check your policy.

7. Michael Shemtoub

2

Answered . You can ask your friend to cover the repairs. It may cost you the friendship. It is truly your fault for not having insurance to cover things like this.
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com
    www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com
    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference