Skip to main content

My friend was divorced for a number of years. She has worked and purchased her home, 2 vehicles and everything in her home. She

Chester, VA |

married a (man) who had NO job, No car, NO home. He lied, decieved and had an affair. Now he drives her car and won't bring it back and the authorities say it's communial property. But yet He can get the police to go with him to the house to get his personal belongings. How is this right? What is she allowed to do? She tried to get the vehicle and he threatened her. What can she do?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    If the car is titled in her name, she can go get it or hire a repo man to get it for her.

    This answer is for general information purposes, is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to schedule a consultation regarding your particular case, please call (757)533-5400.

  2. Virginia is a separate property state. Virginia is also a title property state. If her name is on the title, it is her property. If the police won't help (and they won't if they consider this a civil matter), then follow my colleague's advice.

    Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

Vehicle title topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics