My friend wants me to adopt her baby. what steps do we need to take?

Asked 11 months ago - Loudonville, OH

I can not have a child.. my friend wants my husband and I to adopt her child. she doesn't want any money or any help with doctors appointments or anything she needs during pregnancy.. she wants it done as easy as possible.. she would like to just sign her rights over to us, the father is also willing to sign his rights over to us also if possible..

1. Thomas Richard Gilman

1

Best Answer

Answered . There are numerous rules for an adoption. Where the parties agree, it is not too difficult. The parents will need to give written consent. The adopting parents will have to file an application with a court, have a home study, and participate in two hearings generally.
    If everyone works together, it is not a bad process. The big key is to get things moving quickly and stay on top of it. It can be easy for one of the parents to change their mind if the matter is allowed to sit.
    We have an office in Loudonville and would be happy to discuss it with you. (419)994-4892.

2. Amber Michelle Reams

1

Answered . The adoption will need to be facilitated by either an adoption agency or an attorney (private adoption). A home study will need to be done. You should speak with an adoption attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can be informed of the process and the costs. You can use this website to search for an attorney or call the Ohio State Bar Association. Here is a link with information on the adoption process.