My friend violated parole cuss he got a misdemeanor charge will he do the rest the time on parole or will he do that plus more

Syracuse, NY |

my friend is on parole and violated cuss he got an A misdemeanor will he just do the time he owes parole or will he be given more for the A misdemeanor

1. It could go either way with parole. It depends on the parole judge and the nature of the charges and whether the criminal court judge runs any sentence concurrent or consecutive to any time parole gives him

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. Depending on how much time he gets from parole, any time on the new case will merge (run concurrent) with the parole time.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Usually the new crime will not run concurrent with the parole time as the parole time runs "on the back end". That is not necessarily consecutive, it's a calculation based on a number of factors and the Department of Corrections will calculate how much time he will serve and how much good time he gets or credit for the time he is incarcerated. The sentencing laws are very complicated and it depends on how the new judge and the parole judge choose to sentence him.