My friend violated parole cuss he got a misdemeanor charge will he do the rest the time on parole or will he do that plus more

Asked over 1 year ago - Syracuse, NY

my friend is on parole and violated cuss he got an A misdemeanor will he just do the time he owes parole or will he be given more for the A misdemeanor

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It could go either way with parole. It depends on the parole judge and the nature of the charges and whether the criminal court judge runs any sentence concurrent or consecutive to any time parole gives him

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  2. John J. Carney


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Usually the new crime will not run concurrent with the parole time as the parole time runs "on the back end". That is not necessarily consecutive, it's a calculation based on a number of factors and the Department of Corrections will calculate how much time he will serve and how much good time he gets or credit for the time he is incarcerated. The sentencing laws are very complicated and it depends on how the new judge and the parole judge choose to sentence him.

  3. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on how much time he gets from parole, any time on the new case will merge (run concurrent) with the parole time.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now