My friend let her boyfriend her car knowing he had NO had a suspended drivers lis. and he got into an accident .

Asked about 1 year ago - Roselle, NJ

when the police called they asked her did you lend him the car she said yes is she in any legal trouble and if so what kind of attorney will she need and will her insurance company cover the damages

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

10

Answered . She needs to notify her carrier. She herself may be sued for negligent entrustment.

Pro

7

Answered . Have your friend turn it over to insurance carrier to sort out

3. Michael Anthony Donlon

8

Answered . Your friend is liable under the doctrine of "permissive use". She should advise her carrier of the accident right away. Her insurance carrier will supply an attorney.

4. Michael David Myers

Pro

7

Answered . Probably not in any trouble. If he was a permissive user then the insurance company should cover the damage.

5. Philip Anthony Fabiano

5

Answered . Your friend simply needs to turn this over to her insurance company. She should be covered for the claim if you gave the driver permission to drive the car. She may be liable for allowing a person to drive her car when she knew he was not licensed but again since she has coverage, the company will handle the claim.

6. Robin Jean Gray

Pro

3

Answered . Your friend could be in trouble for permitting an unlicensed driver to operate her vehicle. She will also have to check with the insurance company to determine whether or not her insurance will cover the accident since she knowingly permitted an unlicensed driver to drive her car. She may want to consult an attorney if the insurance company will not cover the accident to discuss her options.

7. John Robert Gorman

Answered . The likelihood is that your friend's insurance company will disclaim coverage because she allowed someone that she knew was not eligible to drive her car do so. Her insurance company will likely be required to provide $15,000 of liability coverage if she and her boyfriend get sued for injury, regardless of the amount of liability coverage that she paid for.